Summer has finally arrived, and for some this also means that it’s boating season. Boating is a great way to enjoy summer weather, however if you’re going to be out on the water this summer, there are some additional safety concerns that are vital to consider.
- 1/3 water-related fatalities in Canada involve boating. Know the risks, and make sure to be aware at all times while operating a boat, sea doo or other vessel.
- Most accidents happen during recreational activities. Always be mindful of your surroundings and put safety first, even while having fun on the water.
- Although there are no no-fault benefits on the water and having boating insurance is not mandatory, your right to sue in a boating accident is the same as in a motor vehicle accident.
- Anyone involved in an accident has the right to advance a claim and the right to fair compensation, for loss of income and the cost of future care.
- Practice good water safety habits, including always wearing a life jacket while boating.
For more information, visit www.pialaw.ca.