Summer has finally arrived, and for some this also means that it’s boating season. Boating is a great way to enjoy summer weather, however if you’re going to be out on the water this summer, there are some additional safety concerns that are vital to consider.
With many popular boating destinations just a short drive from Toronto, personal injury lawyer John McLeish shares some helpful boat safety tips and important information with Moose FM radio:
- 1/3 water-related fatalities in Canada involve boating. Know the risks, and make sure to be aware at all times while operating a boat, sea doo or other vessel.
- Most accidents happen during recreational activities. Always be mindful of your surroundings and put safety first, even while having fun on the water.
- Although there are no no-fault benefits on the water and having boating insurance is not mandatory, your right to sue in a boating accident is the same as in a motor vehicle accident.
- Anyone involved in an accident has the right to advance a claim and the right to fair compensation, for loss of income and the cost of future care.
- Practice good water safety habits, including always wearing a life jacket while boating.
For more information, visit www.pialaw.ca.