Today is the first day of Car Safety Month be prepared for the winter with these helpful tips from the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC).
Below are the IBC’s Top 10 tips to help you avoid the dangers of winter driving:
- Be alert, well-rested and sober behind the wheel. Avoid driver distractions.
- Tune-up your car by getting a complete checkup in the fall. Your tune-up should include battery, belts, hoses, radiator, coolant/antifreeze, oil, lights, brakes, exhaust system, heater/defroster, wipers, ignition system and tires.
- Check the tires and tire pressure at least once a month when the tires are cold.
- Ensure that your windshield is free of dings and cracks. Cold temperatures can turn a small ding in your windshield into a major crack.
- Keep the gas tank at least half full, decreasing the chances of moisture forming in the gas lines and possibly freezing.
- Ensure that lights work. The end of Daylight Savings Time in the fall results in earlier night fall and more night time driving.
- Keep a Winter Survival Kit in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Heed the warnings from local weather offices of Environment Canada of impending blizzards, heavy snow, freezing rain or drizzle, deep freeze and winds, and black ice.
- Check road conditions before travel. On the road, if you must drive in bad weather, clean snow off your vehicle, exercise caution, , plan ahead and make sure you have enough fuel. Drop your speed to match road conditions
- Always keep a road map, flashlight, first-aid kit and blanket in your vehicle.
(Source: Insurance Bureau of Canada)
For more articles related to Car Safety click on the links below:
- Avoid distracted driving
- Refrain from texting while driving
- The Fine Print Blog: Car Safety
For more information about McLeish Orlando click here
- To read issues of the Fine Print Newsletter click here
- To contact us click here
- Follow us on Twitter @mcleishorlando
- Connect with us on LinkedIn: McLeish Orlando LLP Company page
- Watch our YouTube Channel: McLeish Orlando LLP
- Add us to your Circle +1 and submit a review: McLeish Orlando LLP