Choosing the right personal injury lawyer is an important task. Below you will find a list of questions to help you with your decision.
Have you been recognized by the legal community for your achievements, including:
- Recognized in LEXPERT®, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory’s list of Leading Practitioners in Toronto as Most Frequently Recommended.
- Listed in Best Lawyers® in Canada for Personal Injury Litigation.
- Recognized by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Certified Specialist in Civil Litigation.
- Elected as President of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association.
- Chosen by Canadian Lawyer Magazine as one of the top ten personal injury firms in Canada.
Your Experience in Personal Injury Cases
- Does your firm handle only personal injury cases or do some lawyers practice in other areas of law?
- Have you or any members of your firm ever acted for insurance companies?
- What are the names of precedent setting cases, involving your firm, that have helped shape
Canadian personal injury law?
- Can you refer a potential client to former clients with similar injuries who can provide a reference
concerning the work you did and the results you achieved?
- Can you refer a potential client to community healthcare providers who can provide a reference?
- What other professionals in your firm will assist you in representing me?
- Will you be the lawyer responsible for my case?
- Will you be referring the case to some other lawyer in another law firm?
- Have your past clients included individuals with in depth knowledge of the personal injury bar including judges, lawyers, insurance adjusters, and health professionals?
Your Reputation for Helping Educate the Personal Injury Bar
- Can you provide details of books on personal injury that you have authored or to which you have
- Can you provide details of programs you have chaired or presentations you have given to the Law Society of Upper Canada and other legal organizations?
The Relationship Between the Client and the Lawyer
- Will I be involved in all steps of the process and if so, how?
- Are you a paperless office and can all documents be sent to me promptly?
- How will you handle sensitive information?
Contributions to the Rights of Accident Victims
- Have you co-authored submissions to the government and to the Law Society, to preserve and
enhance the rights of injured individuals?
- Have you contributed your time and money to community organizations and hospitals to help
individuals who have suffered brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and orthopaedic injuries?
The Financial Terms of Your Retainer
- Will your fee be a percentage of what I receive and if so, what percentage?
- Will you ever ask me for a monetary retainer?
- Will your firm finance the entire case, including obtaining and paying for all reports and medical illustrations that are necessary?