Rikin Morzaria devotes his practice to representing individuals who have suffered serious or catastrophic personal injuries and families who have lost a loved one in wrongful death cases.
Rikin has written and published more than twenty journal articles and chapters in leading textbooks in the field of civil litigation and personal injury law. He is regularly invited to give lectures to other lawyers and to health professionals about litigation and personal injury law.
Rikin was co-counsel at trial in McNeil v. Bryan, and achieved an $18.4 million judgment, the largest personal injury damages award in Canadian history. He has also represented clients in several precedent-setting cases, including a decision that prevented an insurer from obtaining defence medical examinations that would have delayed a trial of a multi-million dollar action.
Before entering law school, Rikin received a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) with Distinction from the Schulich School of Business at York University. He received his law degree from the University of Toronto, where he received the top prize in Trial Advocacy and the top prize in Public International Law.
Rikin is a member of The Law Society of Upper Canada, Canadian Bar Association, Ontario Bar Association and is currently a Director and the Secretary of the Board of Canadian Lawyers for International Human Rights (CLAIHR) and he was recently nominated as a 2013-2014 Board of Director for the Ontario Trial Lawyers' Association.
Areas of Practice
- Plaintiffs' Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Disability Insurance
- Wrongful Death
- Ontario, 2003
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Juris Doctor - May, 2002
- York University, Toronto, Ontario
- Bachelor of Business Administration - April, 1999
- Honours: With Distinction
- "Shareholder Litigation: Directors' Conflicts of Interest", (Co-Author With Jeffrey S. Leon & Rikin Morzaria), 8(3) Corporate Liability 478, 2003
- "Shareholder Litigation: Litigation from Contested Take-over Bids", (Co-Author With Jeffrey S. Leon & Rikin Morzaria), 8(4) Corporate Liability 490, 2003
- "Shareholder Litigation: Litigation from Corporate Reorganizations", (Co-Author With Jeffrey S. Leon & Rikin Morzaria), 9(1) Corporate Liability 506, 2003
- "Shareholder Litigation: Forum for Multi- jurisdictional", (Co-Author With Jeffrey S. Leon & Rikin Morzaria), 9(2) Corporate Liability 522, 2004
- "Bill 198 Update: Assessing the Impact of Automobile Insurance Reform", (Co-Author With Jeffrey S. Leon & Rikin Morzaria), Litigating Disability and Auto Insurance Claims, The Canadian Institute, April 19, 2005
- "Contingencies, Loss of Interpersonal Relationship, The Material Contribution Test & Punitive, Exemplary and Aggravated Damages", Contributor: John A. McLeish, The Modern Law of Damages (Law Society of Upper Canada Special Lectures 2005), April 20, 2005
- Court Restricts Pre-Trial Communication Between Defence Counsel and Health Practitioners, Lawyers Weekly, July, 2008
- Proving Future Cost of Care at Trial: New Challenges to the Qualification of Experts and Introduction of Future Care Experts, The Oatley-McLeish Guide to Personal Injury Practice in Motor Vehicle Cases (Canada Law Book), 2009
- Litigating the Threshold Issue: Optimizing your position from the initial interview to the trial, The Litigator, December, 2009
- "The Rule in Browne v. Dunn: The Development and Modern Application of the Rule in Canada", Playing to Win: Levelling the Playing Field in Auto Insurance Claims, Ontario Trial Lawyers' Association, May 27, 2006
- "The Defence Expert: Critiquing the Expert Report and Planning Your Cross Examination", The Oatley-McLeish Guide to Proof of Personal Injury Damages, Law Society of Upper Canada, April 18, 2007
- "Approval of Costs When Representing Parties Under Disability: The Impact of Marcoccia v. Gill", Personal Injury and Mental Capacity Law - Strategies for Claims Involving Incapable Parties, Law Society of Upper Canada, October 18, 2007
- Panelist, "Assessment of General Damages", Ontario Insurance Adjusters Association, November 7, 2006
- Speaker, "Presenting the Numbers How to do it so the Jury Understands; A Plaintiff's Perspective", Litigating Catastrophic Disability and Damages Insight Information, December 5, 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Associate
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, 2013-2014 Board of Directors
- American Association for Justice
- The Law Society of Upper Canada
- The Advocates' Society
- Canadian Lawyers for International Human Rights, Director and Secretary of Board, 2003 - Present