Kate E. Mazzucco
Kate is an associate lawyer on Patrick Brown’s team. She completed her undergraduate degree in Kinesiology at the University of Toronto and law degree from the University of Western Ontario. She was called to the Ontario Bar in 2007. Since being called to the bar, Kate has exclusively dedicated her practice to representing people who have been seriously injured or lost a loved one due to the fault of another. Kate’s education in kinesiology, and more specifically, her background in anatomy and physiology, gives her a better understanding of her patients’ injuries and impairments.
Before becoming a lawyer, Kate witnessed first-hand the devastating effects a car accident can have when a member of her family was seriously injured in a car accident. It was through this experience that Kate gained a personal appreciation for the importance of having skilled, knowledgeable, caring and compassionate legal counsel. The experience also gave Kate personal insight into the significant role a lawyer can play, not only in obtaining fair compensation for her clients, but in assisting her clients in their recovery. Through this experience and Kate’s education in kinesiology, personal injury litigation became the obvious career path.
Kate is a member of the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association, the Advocate's Society and Ontario Trial Lawyers’ Association. Kate has been the vice-chair for the New Lawyers Division of the Ontario Trial Lawyers’ Association. Kate has prepared and presented papers for continuing legal education programs for lawyers, and for health care providers in Ontario.
Kate recently gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and is now enjoying motherhood.
Areas of Practice
- Plaintiff's Personal Injury
- Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Disability Insurance
- Medical Malpractice
- Municipal Liability
- Occupiers' Liability
- Products Liability
- Road Authority Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Ontario, 2007
- University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law, London, Ontario, Canada
- Bachelor of Laws - 2006
- University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Physical Education and Health (Kinesiology) - 2003
- • Panellist at The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association and The Law Society of Upper Canada’s Justicia Program for the Retention of Women in the Legal Profession held on March 7, 2013.
- • Authored “Court allows indirect cross-examination of ‘expert’” for the February 5, 2010 issue of The Lawyers Weekly.
- • Authored and presented “Navigating the Waters: Important Procedural Rule and Case Law Updates” at the Canadian Institute 2010 Annual Forum on Personal Injury Settlements Conference.
- • Co-Chaired the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association 2010 New Lawyers Division Conference, Jury Trial Practice from A to Verdict.
- • Authored and presented “Threshold Update: Six Years Later” at the Ontario Trial Lawyers Fall 2009 Conference.
- • Authored and presented “The Latest on Disability: Entitlement to IRBs and NEBs” at the Oatley-McLeish Guide to Motor Vehicle Litigation 2008 Conference on Accident Benefits and Practice Issues.
- • Authored and presented “Gearing Up for Trial” at the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Spring 2008 Conference.
- • Panellist at The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association and The Law Society of Upper Canada’s Justicia Program for the Retention of Women in the Legal Profession held on February 19, 2010.
- • Co-authored “Understanding the Turbulence: New Developments in Automotive Legislation”, a paper presented at the 2007 Discharge and Beyond Conference.
- • Co-authored “Section 42 Examinations in a Post-DAC World”, Accident Benefits – Recent Changes and Developments” a paper presented at The Law Society of Upper Canada 2007 Conference on Accident Benefits – Recent Changes and Development.
- Successfully settled the claims of P.H., a husband and father of four, who sustained a severe traumatic brain injury in a motor vehicle accident for $9,847,500. Following the accident and discharge from the hospital, the team at McLeish Orlando LLP, led by Patrick Brown and Kate Mazzucco, put a caring and top rated rehabilitation team in place for P.H. Faced with an aggressive defence, Patrick Brown and Kate Mazzucco continued to push the lawsuit towards trial. In the final week before trial, and after a series of negotiations, the defendants significantly increased their offer. In the end Patrick Brown and Kate Mazzucco settled PH's claims for $9,847,500.
- Successfully obtained a Trial decision for a brain injured young man, which found two municipalities responsible for the single vehicle collision for failing to ensure the road was safe. The Trial decision was upheld on appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Co-Chaired the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association 2010 New Lawyers Division Conference, Jury Trial Practice from A to Verdict
- Presented "Navigating the Waters: Important Procedural Rule and Case Law Updates" , Canadian Institute 2010 Annual Forum on Personal Injury Settlements Conference
- Presented "Threshold Update: Six Years Later", Ontario Trial Lawyers Fall 2009 Conference
- Presented "The Latest on Disability: Entitlement to IRBs and NEBs", Oatley-McLeish Guide to Motor Vehicle Litigation 2008 Conference on Accident Benefits and Practice Issues
- Presented "Gearing Up for Trial", Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Spring 2008 Conference
- Panellist at Retention of Women in the Legal Profession program held on February 19, 2010, The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association and The Law Society of Upper Canada’s Justicia Program
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Advocates’ Society
- The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- The Law Society of Upper Canada
- The Ontario Bar Association
- The Canadian Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Brain Injury Society of Toronto 5 km run participant
- Shoot for the Cure and Sam Schmidt Paralysis Foundation Walk, Run N’ Wheel-a-thon participant.
- Camp Oochigeas fundraiser run participant
- Terry Fox Run Participant
- Volunteer with Special Olympics Swimming
- Volunteer with Helmets for Kids Program
- Athletes for Africa participant
- Holiday Hamper Program participant
- One World Yoga Fundraiser participant